First Pick: Baraka is an extraordinary non-narrative film that delivers an unforgettable collection of snapshots from the global family album. It shows many devotional activities practiced at sacred sites, in homes, and in communities around the world.
More cinematic depictions of devotion:
• An extraordinary documentary by German filmmaker Werner Herzog puts us on the scene at a Buddhist ritual, held in Bodh Gaya, India, and Graz, Austria, in 2002 that attracted thousands of pilgrims. (Wheel of Time)
• An engrossing documentary filmed in India vividly depicts the variety and vitality of Hindu devotion. (Kumbh Mela: Short Cut to Nirvana)
• A documentary follows a group of modern-day pilgrims during a one-week retreat to Iona, an island off the western coast of Scotland. (Pilgrimages of Europe: Iona)
• A fascinating documentary chronicles the daily life of a Buddhist monk from New England living in Thailand. (I Am a Monk)
• Renowned world religions scholar Huston Smith explores the riches of the spiritual traditions of Sufism, Tibetan Buddhism, and Hinduism. (The Mystic's Journey with Huston Smith)
• A gorgeous piece of filmmaking by Franco Zeffirelli is an inspiring and edifying portrait of St. Francis's spiritual practice of devotion and his humble life of service. (Brother Sun, Sister Moon)
• A stylized screen portrait of Saint Therese of Lisieux (1873-1897), later to be known as the Little Flower of Jesus, conveys the purity and simplicity of this saint's devotional life. (Therese)
• A drama focuses on the ardent devotional life of John of the Cross (1542-1591). (John of the Cross)
• A documentary conveys the enchantment of Rumi's spirituality and the imaginative imagery of his poetry. (Rumi: Poet of the Heart)
• A documentary depicts how artists through the centuries have tried to express their devotion to Jesus Christ through paintings, sculptures, icons, mosaics, murals, and stained-glass windows. (The Face)
• A documentary examines 75 paintings and sculptures by Portuguese artists devoted to Mary, the mother of Jesus. (Crowning Glory)
• A documentary explores the healing power of prayer. (Science and the Power of Prayer)
• Search for all films about devotion.